In the UK, Google has a market share of 83.49% of the online search market. This is first by quite a considerable margin. The second-ranked search engine, Bing has a Market Share of 11.81%, Yahoo! Is third with 3.83%, these add up to 99.13%. The remaining 0.87% is made up of other search engines like DuckDuckGo and AOL. The most logical approach, therefore, would be to build your websites to cater to Google as most of the customers will use this search engine to find businesses in your industry and location, you need to work in a way which pleases Google’s algorithm. Here are some pointers as to how you can do that.
Accelerated Mobile Programming
According to official Google statements, more than 50 percent of search queries globally now come from mobile devices, and this number is only going to grow. The concept of Accelerated Mobile Programming is to create mobile-friendly pages that load in seconds because their content is compressed and minimalised, unlike a desktop website where the website will most likely be full and heavy.
An effective way to see how much faster your browsing experience is due to AMP, tap the three lines in the top right corner of your mobile browser and select Request Desktop Site(Chrome on Android, see right.)
A meta tag is a part of a website’s HTML coding. The search engine reads these tags and then sees it as an appropriate match for the search term. For example, if someone searched ‘cheap mobile phones’ in Google, and The Carphone warehouse’s Meta Tag contained
then google would see this as an appropriate match to the search, and would likely rank you higher than websites that haven’t used this, in addition to other criteria obviously.
Below is a screenshot of HSBC’s Homepage’s meta tags.
An important way that Google’s search algorithm reads your website is the text content that is on it, this may even be the most important aspect. It sees your website as a wall of text and will pick up certain words and phrases. It also looks for use of good English (or other languages), spelling and grammar.
Neither over-complicated nor over-simplified language is particularly favoured by Google’s search algorithm.Below is a screenshot of TechCrunch UK’s Blog, notice how their blog is written in plain English, this article focuses on Amazon’s AWS dominating the cloud and being the backbone of the internet. It is written in a way that is technical enough for a professor, but simple enough for a GCSE student.
Linking to Social Media Accounts
Building up an online presence can be difficult, and trying to not spread yourself too thinly can be a confusing task for those who have not been taught the way that search algorithms work. Google refers to a company’s presence on social media networks to build up a better idea of what they do. Most important networks to add content to are Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Google Plus. It’s a clever idea to add a hyperlink to your website on all of your social media pages and a link to your social media pages on your website.
Google Plus should be specifically addressed. You may think, why would I want to join a social network that only has a minuscule number of active users, a very complicated interface, which is simply seen as Google’s limp attempt at trying to enter the social media game? Well, Google likes to reward users that join Google Plus by bumping them up on Google Search.
Regularly Change/Update Content
A crime in the world of website production is to leave websites unchanged for an extended period. If Google’s algorithm sees that a website has not had any content added, removed or changed, they will see that website as ‘dead’, and it will slowly start to slip down the indexed rankings.
his list is far from exhaustive. To coin a phrase ‘Google’s search algorithm changes quicker than its programmers change their socks’. They are constantly adding new criteria and parameters to make their search experience as easy and efficient as they can.
These guidelines are simply good rules of thumb to follow, to make your website search engine friendly.
Becoming an experienced respected Website Designer: FrogSparkUK
As mentioned in the About page of this website, I am a student at the University of Derby. I was lucky enough for my lecturer to organise a Guest Lecture from Rob Twells of a small company from Derby called FrogSparkUK. They are a very young company, established under two years ago. Started by Rob and one of his childhood friends, who attended Sheffield University together. They started o
ff by using WordPress to create websites for non-profits and charities for free, in order to build up a portfolio. This, in turn, gained them new clients in their local area. During the last financial year, they have a turnover of over £500K and currently have 167 active clients from around the UK. It really was exciting to see someone who has made a success of themselves, when he was in a very similar position to me 5 years ago.